I went to the IAB Ad Ops Summit yesterday here in New York. The attendance was broken out as follows: 80% pubs, 15% agencies, 5% clients. Not ideal as all sides of the equation should be represented when we’re talking about best practices and having an open conversation about them.
While I didn’t really find anything earth shattering, I liked hearing from other agencies and the publisher side about they are doing to make the ad ops process scale so that we can leverage it for all media as it becomes digital.
The IAB did an excellent job putting this together and the event was fairly top notch. Randall Rothenberg, head of the IAB, released some best practices documents yesterday as well… check them out.
Here are some of the latest Tweets on the IAB
Quotes from the conference:
1. “Recession is our opportunity” – Randall Rothenberg
2. “Everything is going digital” – Google
3. “When people are happy, I’m nervous. When they are nervous, I’m happy.” Warren Buffet
4. “Agencies have yield management, the same way networks do, they should be structured as such.” Michele Burnham
5. “Our industry is like an iPod with a parrallel port.” Benjamin Reid
6. “Digital is the primary media for advertising in the future.” Google
1. Ad Ops folks are the guardians of profit as they optimize revenue flow and remove costs out of the equation
2. Eliminate friction, maximize efficiencies (what Google wants to shift in the ad world)
3. 2003 was the first IAB impression standard
4. Talk of Interactive tearsheets
5. Best practices conversations are all about documentation and overcommunication
6. The first electronic invoice (television spot) was delivered in 1989 by Grey Advertising
7. We must reinspect every media business practice down to the human level as our entire industry is changing
8. Google is revolutionizing an industry that is manual and inefficient.