Stuck In A Rut of Incremental Innovation

I have been in the digital media marketing ecosystem since its inception.  The first documented digital advertising was born as banners and buttons (1996) that lived on webpages.

Ad servers were built to deliver these banners.  Incrementally better ad servers were built to better serve these banners, video, and buttons.

Sites federated together to create ad networks.  Incrementally better ad networks were built around technologies such as contextual, behavioral, semantic, etc.

Boxes on websites were created to house advertisers’ creative.  These lead to banners.  Incrementally better banners were created that yielded rich media units.

Search engine marketing solutions were built to manage and optimize voluminous keyword lists.  Incrementally better SEM platforms now include Facebook buying

Lots of incremental-ism.  Being incrementally better sounds like a rat race.  Or the cold war.  I’m better today.  You’re better tomorrow.  Its a no-win game and becomes all about marketing and salesmanship where it should be about the product and performance.

So where is the 0-1 going to happen in this industry?

Maybe we focus so much on going from 1 to n because that’s easier to do. There’s little doubt that going from 0 to 1 is qualitatively different, and almost always harder, than copying something n times. And even trying to achieve vertical, 0 to 1 progress presents the challenge of exceptionalism; any founder or inventor doing something new must wonder: am I sane? Or am I crazy? (Blake Masters class notes of Peter Thiel CS183)

Its happening.   But it’s not overly obvious to all.

The social marketing space inclusive of content creation is unbelievably sloppy and inefficient right now, but I propose we will see tomorrows DoubleClick-like, Advertising.com-like and Google-like come out of the social landscape.

Why?  Because it’s fundamentally different.

There are no banners or buttons.  The way we’ve acted in the past is not the way we act in the future of this space.

Communication does not scale.  We need to re-think the way we communicate and participate in this space.  The role for earned and owned media becomes just as important as paid media.

The 0-1 innovation is going to come from the social places in ways we cannot imagine today (or some people already are).

 

* Note, I’m not down on paid media buying.  I’m all for it.  I work in it. It’s evolving quickly and there are some fantastic companies participating in the space.  But when looking out across the marketplace, and looking for disruption, this (s0cial) area is ripe.

 

 

 

 

  • http://twitter.com/zachcoelius Zach Coelius

    RTB?   Hardly incremental…

    • http://www.darrenherman.com dherman76

      Going from .03% to 3% ? What about the other 97%?

      • http://twitter.com/zachcoelius Zach Coelius

        You mean going from 0% to what will be 50% of all online media impressions through RTB (not dollars, yet) in less then three years.  That is a major revolutionary change in how media is transacted.   RTB now encompasses display, mobile, social and video.  We even see an occasional TV impression coming through when people watch IP tv.  

        • http://www.darrenherman.com dherman76

          I’m not doubting the significance of RTB. I’m involved immensely in the industry. But in 0-1 innovation, how do we re-imagine what it is to advertise online. That’s my point.

          • http://twitter.com/zachcoelius Zach Coelius

            I couldn’t agree more with that.  The fact that we are stuck with the same miserably small banners from 18 years ago is a tragedy.  We certainly have a ton of work to do as an industry.  Thankfully that will mean hard interesting jobs for all of us for many years to come.